Sunday, August 4, 2013

A Question

Some time ago, Mr. VI began brow-beating me about trying to put together a book. Truthfully, I've been working on it off and on since my sister left. It's going to just be about the size of a chapbook, and focus on five plants and between 2 and 4 Daimons or Cthonic Gods. The rest will focus on purification rituals and using those plants and working with those Gods or spirits for it.

I've decided that's the place to start because: I have more plant materia info than some folks can even imagine at my fingertips.   I'll have to pare it down, so I'll probably stick with Pliny and Dioscorides, plus a PGM spell and extrapolations on it. But it won't see the light of day unless I like it, and I generally hate everything I write, and the reviewers who've agreed to check it out also like it. That said: I don't think it'll be a problem.

On the other hand, there arises a major question that will require more work:
Would those even remotely interested in it want me to attach personally produced sigils for each of the five plants? I could probably produce them in a few weeks, and be ready to hand them out to a few friends that might use them.

But it'll take a bit more time to be sure the sigils actually work for people who are not a batshit Chaos Magician who has been overly influenced by Austin Spare. I don't mind that. But if people don't even care about such a portion of the chapbook, I also wouldn't mind avoiding pestering whatever poor souls agree to be my test subjects until I'm sure what I've produced works as intended and consistently enough to be put in something that isn't free.

Please feel free to drop me a comment regarding the above if you have any thoughts on the matter.

Jack.

6 comments:

Nue said...

I'd say that having the sigils would.definitely be great, especially when connecting and working deeply with these spirits you mentioned. However, you could do something similar to Jason Miller's work and have the sigils come later in a separate work if that's your thing.

Jason Miller, said...

I care and would love to experiment with them.

Brother Christopher said...

GIVE IT ME!!! I mean uh, I would totally work with it and try it out.

Jack Faust said...

Nue: Well, the sigils will be for the plants, rather than the spirits. I don't think spirits for the Gods I have in mind are really necessary. That being said: if a couple of the reviewers want them, I may work on those, too.

Technically, you really don't need sigils for the plants. At least as far as I can tell. That being said: I think it would be helpful to add the information regarding them. I regard the plants as spirits in their own right - especially magical plants - and outside certain circles, one doesn't see a lot of magical characters for them.

The sigils won't be 'necessary' to working with the plants by any means, so readers can ignore them or make their own if they desire.

Jason: Haha! Excellent! I'll make sure you see them as they're finished and divination has been performed on them.

Bro. Chris: LOL. What's your email?

Jack Faust said...

Derp. That was supposed to be 'I don't thing sigils for the Gods I have in mind are necessary.

I should not respond to comments before drinking coffee. And I should also rethink my addiction to caffeine.

Nue said...

Awesome! I'd like to join in testing the material, if that would be okay.