Sunday, May 19, 2013

Fuck me. I'm an idiot.

So, after I was asked about why we put the sigil on the mirror, I thought of something. I can't believe I hadn't thought of it before, and leaving this caution out is very unwise of me:

I mention that you could use the rough method of treatment for thoughtforms and the mirror for standard conjurations. What I failed to mention is the most obvious thing, and makes me feel like an ass for forgetting to say... If you do a standard evocation with the mirror, take standard precautions. The spirit will be much more capable of obsessing you than a thoughtform ought to be. In fact, if you find yourself becoming convinced that you are Batman, or Superman, or generally obsessing [the character] following the ritual this is a sign that you need to take more time to focus on your basics: meditation, developing the will, making sound protections when you work. It should not be necessary, as you should have been doing all that long before considering a full scale working of even the most basic sort.

Finally, if you do a standard conjuration of a spirit from any magical book, it is [probably very] unwise to use both your reflection and the hypnotic state to see the spirit, and placing the seal of that spirit on the mirror. That is a probable recipe for obsession for the unprepared. It is even very unwise for scrying up visions of Gods. You don't want to get obsessed with Pan. Trust me on this.

If what I'm talking about doesn't make sense? I suggest doing more reading on the subject before considering doing anything with the mirror and spirits.

That said? The sigil can be used, never being superimposed over your face, and preferably above the area of your reflection, to designate areas you wish to see. (Note: I have never had much luck with scrying physical locations. If you end up being good at it, tell me what the hell I'm doing wrong. I'd love to know. Astral locations have worked much better, for me, overall.) As per usual, your mileage may vary.

Be careful, even if it is a beginner's ritual.

I have mentioned and recommended Volantia prior to mirror work. I would double this and add that you should seriously consider using Paschal's other techniques, too. They are meant to go along with the work, and they do suffice to help.

Also: Rachel is right. For those wishing a beginner's technique not involving Chaos-y things, a basic ancestor altar will be an excellent place to begin. But, I think she should make that post if she hasn't already.

Jack.

PS. Actually, now that I think about it? Don't ever, ever use that ritual style at all for a standard evocation. You want all your crap on hand for that: wand, pentacle, seal, etc. I would edit out my asshole swaggery, but I'll let it stand to show what I fool I am. I have edited in an alteration for any future readers. Jesus, I'm very sorry. What the fuck is my problem, man?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Finally, if you do a standard conjuration of a spirit from any magical book, it is [probably very] unwise to use both your reflection and the hypnotic state to see the spirit, and placing the seal of that spirit on the mirror. That is a probable recipe for obsession for the unprepared. It is even very unwise for scrying up visions of Gods. You don't want to get obsessed with Pan. Trust me on this."

I'm glad my confusion led to something good. Thanks. Those were my thoughts when I read it but then I said "Well if Jack recommends it, it should be no big deal". Good thing you clarified things. About the Gods; the magicians of the G.M.P did exactly that, but then again they had a few protections and initiations on hand.

About Rachel and ancestor scrying: it is a good idea, but in my limited experience you must be careful. The dead will drain your energy to an alarming degree on occasion. My teacher warned me about overdoing it as well.

Josephus

Jack Faust said...

Josephus: Nice to see you around these parts again!

Re: the Gods: Truthfully, I've mirror worked with a ton of Gods and had only a few problems. Generally, it isn't a huge deal. But I felt that recommending it to beginner's was probably, in retrospect, not as smart as recommending something else. I would strengthen protections considerably before doing it, at the very least. I can only imagine that having been initiated into a group and having a certain degree of protection provided by the spirits of the Order, etc, would help, too. Although, I admittedly did most of my scrying of Gods in the mirror prior to being initiated into any groups.

And the vitality draining potential of the dead is a very good point. (Side note: the Romans seem to have referred to the factor as 'deadening' in some of their ghost stories.) I'm more aware of it occurring around the Restless Dead than one's Ancestors. Do you make a distinction or feel that the classes make a difference when it comes to that factor?

Melitta said...

Yeah, I wouldn't want to become death obsessed.

Wait...