Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Go, And Tell Your Hierophant

It's weird, really. I sit here and look at the Boing Boing article, and suddenly I flash back to David Griffin raving about Black Brothers, racism and threats to the Golden Dawn. For a moment a picture of what he's talking about almost, very terribly, emerges.
“The Golden Dawn used to come out only at night. For a street-fighting fascist gang turned ascendant political party, with all the weary symbolism of flame-waving and puffed-up synchronized shouting, individual members of Greece's ultra-right thug club were curiously reticent to attack immigrants and people of colour before nightfall—until now. Now, they’re killing in daylight.”
Continuing from my last post, I would go so far as to say this sort've thing actually does constitute a very real, very horrible threat to the GD. Your Order's name just became synonymous with Fascism in some places. How precisely does that even get fixed?

In the end, the threat had nothing to do with other Lodges, alternative views, or petty infighting and squabbles. And everything to do with evil wankers and the sad, pathetic individuals that vote for them and get swept up in the times that we are presently living in.

The world is seriously strange. I'm not sure I like this coming year... Because I think it means more violence, and more stupidity. No, I don't think I like it very much at all. I think I need to go laugh. Too much drifting in the dark for one day.

5 comments:

Robert said...

That pretty much wipes out all the copyright wars doesn't it? GD people will do what Alexandrians and Gardnerians did. They changed their name to BTW British Traditional Wicca to distinguish it from the other religions sprouting up using that term. GD people will just change there name to MGD Magickal Golden Dawn to distinguish it from FGD Facist GOlden Dawn...ugh. Cie le vie.

Jack Faust said...

I would much rather see the various Orders and Lodges begin mending old wounds and - I don't know - actually working to make the world a better place.

You can't do that while campaigning against each other.

Robert said...

In order to mend wounds, both sides must have the integrity to admit their errors to those they have trespassed against. It has been my experience that few have this ability. Once you add the ego of those who think they know, the process is toast.

Dean Wilson said...

It is a concern, true, but I'm not sure it has to be a major one. There is, for example, a bed and breakfast here in Dublin called "Golden Dawn," and many other products and businesses that have used the name over the years, and they haven't been associated with occultists or fascists.

I think if an order spells out its full name (for example, Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn), then most people will cop that there is a difference. Yes, some will jump to a knee-jerk reaction, but they are likely to be the kind of people who wouldn't approve of an occult group either, for that matter.

The solution is people need to educate themselves. There is a difference between Apple as a technology company, for example, and Apple the record company, and apple the fruit.

LVX,
Dean.

andrewbwatt said...

You say, "Continuing from my last post, I would go so far as to say this sort've thing actually does constitute a very real, very horrible threat to the GD. Your Order's name just became synonymous with Fascism in some places. How precisely does that even get fixed?"

I don't think it does, actually. The more power these Greek guys get, the more violent and public their actions become, the less likely it is that anyone with any sense will try to join any Golden Dawn order. And the more likely that all kinds of very dangerous folks will see the Golden Dawn orders as potential tools for very Black Sunset sorts of goals.

We're taught, and we learn from experience, that egregores have power... and the name of the Golden Dawn has just been alchemically wedded to something much larger and more dangerous than itself, methinks.

Once again, I think I'm glad not to be an initiate of the tradition.