Saturday, March 3, 2012

A Series of Disclaimers Prior to the Next Entry




Disclaimer:
What I am about to say, regarding flying ointments and the Nightshade family and their especial relevance to that category of archaic astral flight accessories does not mean that they are all safe, friendly, like you, or will not kill you. Some of them will. Two of the recipies I want to cite, from Reginald Scot, are interesting for the purpose of discussion. If used they will KILL YOU DEAD. Both use some of the most toxic, dangerous, and POISONOUS possible. THAT MAKES THEM ABSOLUTELY UNWISE TO USE.

If you take them, thinking, “Jack Faust said this will work” (one of which will; one will just straight kill your ass) THEN YOU WILL FUCKING DIE.

DO NOT THINK I AM JOKING ABOUT THIS. I AM DEADLY FUCKING SERIOUS.

Now, here are some things you need to know about “tropane alkaloids,” which are the active alkaloids in the Nightshade family:
  1. They are stored in the fat cells of the body. This means even the most non-toxic of them can potentially cause “flashbacks” if you ingest, afterwards, a chili, or a tomato, or anything else related to the Solanacaeae family, and then go and exorcise. This can be incredibly disconcerting, especially if the hallucinogenic or other effects kick on while you are, say, flying towards work on your skateboard. Thirty seconds in the Land of the Dead is not cool, if you're not expecting it.
  2. Even some of the less toxic plants, like Mandragora Officinarum, are absolutely dangerous. Once the individual who has ingested Mandragora Officinarum's tropane alkaloids is nearing Tropane Toxicity, the emetic effects kick in. The plant is listed, in one of its first instances, in the Ebers Papyrus. It's use in that text is as a cure for intestinal worms, due to it's emetic effects. In layman's terms, what does this mean? It means that “it (everything you've ingested in the last 48 hours or so) will be coming out of both ends.” Add to this the potential for soporific effects and you have the potential for a terrible experience. A very, very terrible experience. While the plant is typically less toxic than Atropa Belladonna, it can still make you very, very sick.
  3. Flying ointments constitute a type of Entheogen. Understand this immediately, or the plant spirits may seek to take revenge on you. I am not joking. Those spirits can, of their own accord, curse your ass. If you have ingested their alkaloids? You are in sympathy with them. They can be accessed as tutelary allies, or even employed (if they consent and you have the right range of capability) as familiars. That does not mean they will simply just love on you. That takes building a real relationship, and really trying to learn about them. I'm still just scraping the surface of what I know is a deep chasm on this factor.

AGAIN: IF YOU TAKE THE TWO OINTMENTS SUPPLIED FOR DISCUSSION YOU WILL DIE. A DEAD WITCH IS GOOD TO NO ONE.

Let us not have another repeat of the death of Roy Bowers, shall we? And expect to see some of this all-caps, italic, underlined, bolded warnings again. I cannot warn you enough.

12 comments:

Satyr Magos said...

The research I've done indicates that the safest way to handle Nightshades is to harvest, prepare, and use them under the direct supervision of an experienced practitioner (ie: someone who has used them a lot and isn't dead). But that's still "safer", not "safe", and still comes with a risk of cursing (because Nightshade is just vicious like that), madness (because you're going Down without an eject button), and/or death (because DEADLY POISON).

Does that about jive with what you know of it?

Lance Michael Foster said...

Even after two decades of henbane every so often appearing overnight for no reason in odd places in my yard or other places I walk, seemingly saying, "yoo-hoo!" I still have done nothing, because I don't want to do something stupid. I talk to it a little to show respect and appreciation, but that's it.

Scylla said...

Shall I repeat the tale of Datura kicking me in the balls and mugging me?

LSS: Scylla picks a datura flower. Scylla ends up flat on her back with blue lips and a high-pitched tone in her ears until the flower is put outside and wine is given in offering.

Total duration of physical contact with the datura? Two or three seconds. NOT intoxication - crossed, mufuggin, condition. And she -likes- me.

Robert said...

These won't really harm me will they?

Jack Faust said...

If you don't do your homework or get taught, they really will Robert. Even some non-toxic varieties can in other ways.

Satyr: In terms of toxicity, there is no "safer" for some varieties. That's my opinion. Some may disagree. Others are more or less easy to deal with. Mandragora was not menacing. Rather pleasant. Atropa Belladona, who I've only met astrally or in dreams, was far more disconcerting. Her virtue seeped into the space around her, and it was all dangerous and unknown. I leave her alone and do not plan to grow the plant until I've grown and harvested their cousins. In terms of not dying from toxicity? Finding folks is harder than it sounds. Some know about it, but they are a minority. And finally, if a mentor or teacher gives you a bit of plant matter to ingest or use to begin the relationship, that also seemed to help. It was like a special gift of sorts. I hope one day some badass publishes a book of non-toxic ointments that also get you to... Special places. Maybe I'll even eventually see such a thing! One does hope.

Jack Faust said...

Lance: That's a good way to start! Dangerous plant, henbane! You might consider a herb pack eventually, but be careful.

Harold Roth said...

In my experience, growing a nightshade yourself is no guarantee that the plant won't victimize you, depending on the plant. My experience with deadly nightshade (Atropa belladonna) is that it enjoys tricking people and fucking them up in a deadly way. I think this is clear even on the physical level. The flowers are slightly sweet, but when you take a good sniff, you get an instant headache. I understand that the berries are likewise sweet, but a few can kill a person. It's also one of the only nightshades that can get into mother's milk; there was an instance of a woman's baby dying because she used a belladonna plaster, which people used to be able to purchase OTC for back pain. It was thought that these alkaloids could not make the trip from plaster to nursing baby's stomach. Belladonna is one of the few nightshades that was rarely ingested medicinally because it was so unpredictable. It was only generally used as a plaster, but we see even then it is devious. So this plant is full of trickery and more than a little malice. I feel this is a contrast to Datura, which can be very terrifying but in my experience it is more because it does not know its own strength or can't judge how fragile we are. "I was just playin'!" after it mauls the crap out of you. Still, not many people have died of Datura compared to Belladonna.

I would be hard-pressed to trust anyone who offered themselves as a mentor. When I read in Dale Pendell's book how Daniel Schulke tried a "thimble-sized" glass of deadly nightshade wine at a Burning Man, I thought he was a very brave soul indeed.

However, I still think it is worth growing these plants oneself. There is just something about knowing them on that level. And they obviously WANT to be with us. They tend not to grow wild but to grow around people.

They are certainly fascinating.

Robert said...

Dude, I was being sarcastic!

V.V.F. said...

@Lance: I recently came across this article which may be of interest to you, on the medical/ritual usage of henbane in various cultures:

http://www.entheology.org/edoto/anmviewer.asp?a=53

Fascinating stuff!

Scylla said...

P.S. Faust - Do YT searches for the show "Desperately Seeking Something" - one of them catalogs the use of Henbane, Salvia Divinorum, and Mushrooms if I'm not mistaken.

Lance Michael Foster said...

Thanks VVF!

One thing I am considering... do you guys know about guerilla gardening? and creating seedballs?

I have some seed packets of various plants given me a few years ago. I feel a need to free them. I live in a small apartment with no yard and no patio or anything. I am considering doing a little guerilla gardening to "free" these seeds in honor of their individual destinies and deities...

I need to do a little research on their preferred habitats for each species in preparation for later this month or early next...

Lance Michael Foster said...

Guerrilla planting using seedballs/seedbombs: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWvp_EoRxY0