Sunday, January 29, 2012

The Unicorn Root, and the Magical Tradition of Lothlorian...


“Cedar is an appropriate herbe for using amethysts and sapphires. Should you have these gems, they should be stored in a small box made of cedar. Incidentally, it is said that Unicorns absolutely love to have little cedar boxes around in which to store their treasures.” (P. 207, italix mine.)

UNICORN ROOT
The true Unicorn Root is used by those who keep one or more astral Unicorns about, and is the patron herbe of the magical tradition of Lothlorian. It is a Visionary Herbe, used by those who enjoy an element of joyful fantasy in their visionary workings.”
- Paul Beyerl, The Master Book of Herbalism. (p. 251)

I don't even need to troll this, do I?*

Now, serious question: I believe that on Mr. Roth's site, he states that if you plant mandrake next to grapes, the grapes will take on some of its more... interesting... properties. Is this true? Because if so, I know of this daimon, see, and you know. Boons of the drunken daimons and all.

*I'm especially fond of the “Orc Root,” which causes one to be beset by the angry legions of the realm of Orcus. It's especially prized in the magical tradition of, “GOOD GOD, BUT WHY?!

5 comments:

Brother Christopher said...

I remember reading this too in Mr. Beyerl's book and this was my reaction:

: /


Just not buying into that. I will go with the info for unicorn root given by catherine yronwode any day over that.

Rufus Opus said...

But what are the Alchemical properties of Scarlet Nirn Root? Why is there never anything useful in these herb books?

Rufus Opus said...

Crimson Nirnroot. My bad.

Satyr Magos said...

This is a real thing in the world?

Harold Roth said...

Re grapes and mandrakes, based on my experience instead of what Porta wrote, I would say instead of grapes, use tomatoes, because they are in the same family. I have also read research that recommended against planting belladonna or henbane next to tomatoes because of alkaloid creep, I guess you could call it. I know that these plants definitely give off alkaloids through their roots and that these can negatively affect plants around them (my belladonna killed my rugosa rose, for instance). And there used to be a page up describing how to graft a tomato onto a henbane plant in order to produce alkaloidal tomatoes, which sounds unpleasant. I have not ever tried it. But I have had the experience of growing black nightshade (Solanum nigrum), the berries of which are supposed to be perfectly edible, surrounded by toloache (D. innoxia) and finding that the black nightshade berries did in fact have an alkaloidal effect--not on the level of datura, but not fun. Was this because of the datura presence? I think so, but I'm not sure. I'll be growing more black nightshade this summer in their own patch, away from their colleagues, because I am messing around with them as an annual, hide-in-plain-sight food plant. Worth experimenting with, but be careful. These are not warm and fuzzy alkaloids.