Sunday, November 13, 2011

Inspiring Goddesses


So, I've been eyeing Mr. Stratton-Kent's sequence of Orphic Attributions (Geosophia, vol 1., p.186), taken from Agrippa, and trying to figure out what to do with them. These attributions fit a name of Dionysos to a neoplatonic Sphere, along with a relation to one of the Muses. (He seems to indicate that previously the Sirens filled such a role. But I'm not really sure what the music of the spheres is, frankly.)

Earlier in the summer, I made a couple experiments with trying to incubate the Muses into various liquid drinks, which then functioned as libations and instruments for dream incubation. (I would charge up the cup of a drink with the sigil of the Muse – all personally constructed – sitting beneath it, read a custom made prayer to the muse, and then drink the liquid and libate the last 3rd or so.) But I think, instead, I may try something new.

The last season of fluid condenser work ended without much success. However, a second rainy season is about to descend on my home city, and that means more rainwater to catch for fluid condenser work. Rainwater seems to work better for making then condenser than simply distilled water. I know some magicians also capture dew the old school way for their fluid condensers. This time, I'm going to use the seven basic planetary hours, along with the Agrippan attribution of the Muse, and see if that process (however lengthy – I probably won't have enough water to start until late December) yields greater results than my previously hodge podge attempts to further certain connections.

I may also sing praises to the appropriate name of Dionysos before beginning said work.

What I'm not sure to do about is the Muses attached to the Premum Mobile and Fixed Stars, Calliope and Urania, respectively. I don't know. Maybe the other condensers will help me solve the puzzle, or I'll be left even more befuddled.

As for the question of, “why?” Lemme quote Theoi's article:
“They were originally regarded as the nymphs of inspiring wells, near which they were worshipped, and bore different names in different places, until the Thraco-Boeotian worship of the nine Muses spread from Boeotia over other parts of Greece, and ultimately became generally established.”
And thus I now have more reasons to boil gold. At a later date, at least.

No comments: