Thursday, November 10, 2011

As If, And Musings [NSFW]

Black Magic by Rosaleen Norton


The way I worded my last entry still leaves me feeling uneasy. Mostly because there are some things that I don't want to be interpreted as saying.

The first is that I value historical fact over poetical interpretation or even degrees of inspiration. I don't; I see the two as being unified in the “arts” of magick, or sorcery, or what have you. In a certain sense, I feel compelled to note that I find even the idea of a 9,000 year old unbroken line of Matriarchal Witches to be somewhat useful if it can help a woman, of any age, grokk the “current of the witches' craft.”

On the other hand, I don't think that usefulness for ritual purposes, or purposes of feeling kinship to the type of magic one is attempting to do, should be confused with historical fact. In this sense, even my own work of late remains a largely tattered basis of comparisons that I'm using to bridge myself back to an admittedly mythic past of my own creation. I'm just making use of variously scholarly works to try and do it. That doesn't mean I'm even remotely correct in my crazed assumptions.

So, with that said, let me return to the idea of the “Maiden, the Mother, and the Crone.” When we were discussing the subject earlier tonight, VVF commented that Reclaimers used it as an expression for the vehicles of the types of feminine forces. I can see a lot, and I do mean a lot, of use in such types of thoughts.

I become uneasy, on the other hand, when archetypes are treated as expressing the range of experiences that humans must experience. I'm never sure how I ought to respond to the idea. To assume one must be a mother and a nurterer, for example, means that all women must have children bothers me. The reason being is this: nurturing can take many avenues. A woman might not nurture a child, but might instead nurture a career, or stunning artistic depictions of (insert awesome subject here).

I mean, would I have the audacity to suggest to Rosaleen Norton that she ought to have had kids?

I actually have no idea if she had kids or not. I don't think she did, though, but I could still be wrong. I do know that her art is simply amazing, though.

2 comments:

Jow said...

I totally grok what you are saying. I am going through something similar. The greatest part of Myth too me, is that once it is really and truly Mythic, it is trans-historical. A thing that isn't factual, but is always True.

But the caveat is: It is always True, if it happens to be True for you. It's a non personal Truth, and interpretive one. A Truth that allows you to connect, frame, and find place in the world. But it isn't mandatory.

This type of Dogmatism creeps in to science as well. It's silly and unproductive.

Also, make sure to ask Deb what her childless transition into her Mother phase was like. Hint: Very Productive.

Rose Weaver said...

I've always had a problem with the idea that "Mother" as nurturer of children was the only interpretation of this incarnation of the Triple Goddess. I thank you for giving voice to a shared concern.

The majority* of women are natural nurturers, but not all have children. I don't. I nurture myself these days, as well as my writing and other aspects of my life I desire to see return to life. I also nurture others by sharing of myself in whatever way best suits the situation.

Nice post!

*I say majority because I have known women who just aren't into the nurturing thing. I could discuss the reasons, but won't take up comments to do so.