Wednesday, July 27, 2011

As An Aside

There is a thin line between too much, and too little asshattery. It was not my intent to make Mr. Grimassi feel or seem to be an outdated dinosaur. If that was my accomplishment, then my communication failed miserably and my delivery was lame. My apologies.

I have read over his comments on traditions and lineage and found them somewhat in keeping with my own. His clarifications to others have been helpful to see.

I do feel that what he initially wrote looked more like a Golden Age tribute than helpful advice. As stated, it obviously annoyed me. However, his intent does seem pure. I am not sure all our local New Age stores need to remain - I think some investment between those locales which offer helpful service and those which do not is ultimately necessary, and a bit out of date in some places.

Likewise with publishers - some of them have produced garbage for the masses, and some have encouraged us to feast on it. But then, books are a business. If a fad is selling, can we really blame the publisher for selling it? Can we blame them for our purchase?

The job market in America shows no signs of improving rapidly. I know plenty of folks who are being hit by this. Some of them wish they had more local assistance, and really will shell out cash for help. If there are people out there trying to help, then my offering disparaging comments does not help the situation. I recognize this and will cease my commentary for now.

J.F.
Still not your elder, goddamnit.

3 comments:

Nicki said...

Waaait a minute. Isn't Grimassi published by Llewellyn? Like, "The 21 Lessons of Merlyn" Llewellyn? Where sacred pumpkin patches coated Wales in the Dark Ages?

And, now he's complaining about dwindling standards?

I wonder if he complained about his advances and royalties over the years? Or, is that an undisciplined youngster's question?

Jack Faust said...

@Nicki: I believe his primary publisher was Llewellyn, who did indeed sell some garbage. But he may have had other publishers that I am unaware of.

Thank you for bringing that up. Obviously, I am not the person for that task. Lol.

Harold Roth said...

I am late to the party here, but I did not think you mischaracterized what Mr. Grimassi said. I read his post. Re just one point he made, I can say that in 11 years of running an online shop selling occult supplies (and some years on forums and whatnot), I have met many people who claimed to have possession of great mysteries that were passed down to them through family lineages or organizations. In most cases, I did not see any evidence in the individual's practice or get any feelings from my interaction with them that they actually possessed any even above-average magical ability or knowledge of any sort. Certainly most of them had little self-awareness. In fact, it seemed that the reverse was the case; the bigger the claims to secret mystery knowledge, the more hammer-headed the individual and the less they actually knew.

We are every single one of us able to receive great mysteries through our interaction with the natural world. We have to be open to it and be able to listen and to act on what we learn, but isn't that the way with everything, with every knowledge path? The one difference between magic and other acquired and practiced skills is that IME, the spirits will come to a person again and again with dogged persistence over the course of a lifetime. They have all the time in the world, after all.

But of course, I am only saying this because I don't know any secrets.