Monday, March 14, 2011

From: The Center of the Cyclone

“Yes, there are serious esoteric schools. Yes, there are effective gurus. My bet is that they are doing their work without all the fanfare and without taking on disciples who shout their names from the housetops. Obviously, these schools would not be available to just anyone, they would have 'cover stories' for their actual operations. Otherwise they could not operate. They would be over-whelmed by hyperenthusiastic potential disciples. They would have faced long ago the problem of selection of students – the careful selection without fanfare, without publicity.”
- John C. Lilly (1973)

5 comments:

Rufus Opus said...

I tried that for a while. It didn't work out the way I'd hoped.

Jason Miller, said...

Me too actually.

Jack Faust said...

@R.O: I don't exactly see your acolytes singing praises to your name from the roof-tops. You can be social and interactive and not necessarily draw massive amounts of attention to yourself.

@Jason: If I had the cash and felt the time was right, I'd probably take your course without a second thought. Unless I saw a rare book that I wanted more.

@Both: John C. Lilly shakes his disembodied, long dead finger at you for getting rid of strict secrecy. And then he bitch-slaps me for interacting with you both! Shameless behavior all around!

Gordon said...

I refuse to be associated with any of you!

Pallas Renatus said...

If one insists on running a school in the traditional format, although strict secrecy doesn't solve everything, a general attitude of "shut the fuck up and do the work" does tend to be beneficial.