Friday, October 1, 2010

Letters on Demonology and Witchcraft

I had been searching for Sir Walter Scott's Letters on Demonology and Witchcraft in a physical volume for a while. Why can I find tons of Montague Summers these days, and not a peep from Scott? Anyway...

I thought to myself: that's certainly in public domain by now... And 'lo and behold, Sacred Texts delivers. Murray seemed to have a particular loathing for Scott, so my theory is that we should pay more attention than usual to him.

It also took me forever to find a copy of The Secret Commonwealth. And I still haven't found a physical copy of Aradia that I've liked. Bah. If I made more money, I'd probably just buy more books...


EDIT: “Some communication between the spiritual world, by the union of those termed in Scripture “sons of God” and the daughters of Adam, still continued after the Fall, though their inter-alliance was not approved of by the Ruler of mankind. We are given to understand – darkly, indeed, but with as much certainty as we can be entitled to require – that the mixture between the two species of created beings was sinful on the part of both, and displeasing to the Almighty.”
- Letter Two.

I was like: “what? Straight up Grigori sex, then, is it?”

Don't hang out on top of Black Towers. You almost always end up having sex with a succubus or an incubus. And, you know, that's... not good. I think.

7 comments:

Veles said...

Oh noes! Your pentagram is all upside down and shit!

*lulz*

Lady Scylla said...

The copy of Aradia I have (listed on Librarything) is a pretty decent one. It's no frills, and I believe costs around $12 new.

Amazon has a newer edition up for like $3 used.

If printer ink weren't the sublimated blood of snow-leopards harvested by blind virgins I'd suggest printing your own copy.

Jack Faust said...

@Scylla: I want a hardback, leather-bound copy of Aradia. Seriously. If I have to rebind the book, so be it.

Lady Scylla said...

@faust - Aha, that could pose problematic, at least in the commercial world.

I do bookbinding as a hobby, its honestly not that difficult once you get the technique lodged in at the right angle. And it's extremely rewarding. Getting it printed correctly is the ass-tastic part.

I've toyed with the idea of doing a hardcover, (goat) leather edition of the Keys of Solomon, I imagine it's that same striving for quality.

Rose Weaver said...

"Don't hang out on top of Black Towers. You almost always end up having sex with a succubus or an incubus. And, you know, that's... not good. I think."

Heh... well, at least it's pleasurable.

Hieronimo said...

The Black Towers: Is it really necessary to travel that far? That's like a road trip to Myrtle Beach when our town's wrong side of the tracks is only 15 miles away.

PS: I actually mean that question not just as a joke.

--
Hieronimo

Jack Faust said...

@Hieronimo: The fun of the journey involves the many interesting ghosts one meets...