Monday, June 7, 2010

Bits and Pieces

(Click to Enlarge. Made by VVF... Because I lack art skillz.)

A History of Dissent.”

Magicians are self-made. They know, dare, will and keep silent. It's an age old business. A deck of cards and a top hat, a white tipped wand and a stick with curious properties. Producing canaries from one's jacket pocket. Running things at the crossroads. Twenty one batons in the air at any one time. Thirteen moves ahead of the other players. Sharp suit and silver patter.”

- Stephen Grasso, Skip Witches, Hop Toads.
And then he did something very funny,” she told the other woman. “He started grinning and looked at the sky, and then he whistled twice quite sharply in a manner I could have sworn I've heard before. And still grinning he looked over at me and said: 'I think it'll rain tonight.'”

Her captive audience stayed silent, waiting for closure to the strange story. An odd emotion seemed to cloud her face for a moment, a mixture of fear and awe. Finally she spoke in a completely flat tone: “It rained for two days after that. I really do hate that boy.”

- The Journal of Jack Faust (6/7/2010)

As long as there have been magicians, they've made ample use of just about anything they could... well, find to put to use. And, much to the annoyance of the actual devotees of such gods, they've often found some way to justify themselves. I could list about fifteen different reasons why there isn't any reason to worry about “Christian magick,” but I find the idea to be somewhat boring.

I left Christianity because it clearly wasn't part of my path in life; and because I discovered myself in opposition to certain tendencies. One of these is taking the “Paternal Father” figure, slapping it's face on God and declaring that to be the Sacred Truth of the Universe (and anyone who disagrees is going to burn in the Lake of Fire!) However, I do not believe that any but a significant majority actually believe that; and while I acknowledge the majority exists (and am in opposition to them, specifically) I don't see myself as being “at war” with Christianity.


Know Your Target.”
This stance frees me up from pesky questions like: “Will invoking Yahweh lead to my becoming a Fundamentalist Christian?!”

The answer is: only if you're invoking the Fundamentalist Christian 'facet' of Yahweh. Which appears to be all manner of downright fascist and nasty. It's just not a godform I'd select for anything.

It also means that if I need to 'toss my influence' at a Christian, I can easily 'cloak' it using Christian symbols. Or – if I actually want to tap into the power of said deity – I could just work Qabalistically. And there is an advantage to this:

My mother is well aware of what I do. She's been aware of it for a long time, and sometimes she even asks me if I'd be willing to do something. (Sometimes, she doesn't have to.) However: if I send my mother a healing talisman with the names “Azazel,” “Lilith,” “Lucifer,” and “Namaah” on it... She's not going to keep that Talisman. (And I think I'd be cursing her, too...)

So it's better for me to jump into a set of symbols she understands and can empower as well on her own. As so it suits my purposes to using symbols that won't freak her the fuck out. (Even innocuous things like the name of Pan might.)

3 comments:

Jhonn Barghest said...

These are some really good points for incorporating Christian symbolism in works for certain people. In fact, I had to make a call to a lady (who may or may not end up being a client for my team) over the weekend because of some nasty shit happening to her. Before going into what she could do for herself in the meantime, I had to qualify her and see where she was coming from in terms of spiritual beliefs so I wouldn't freak her out (and give my team a "bad" name). People can be so skittish when it comes to things that are incongruous to their religious upbringing (or whatever).

Rufus Opus said...

Once I got fully into the swing of spirit conjuration, I did a full on conjuration of YHVH in its truest form.

I got a desert Zeus. Dry, frickin' potent as a lightning bolt, and lots and lots of static electricity building up as grains of sand are blown across vast plains (and planes) that discharge like the lightning around Muadib's Worms in Dune (Kyle MacLachlan version).

Not much of a sky daddy at all. Nothing at all like the loving Father of Christianity. Christianity's Father Figure of God is so purely neo-platonist "The Good" or the "First Father" that it's just awesome.

I learned then not to confuse YHVH with the First Father. YHVH is an emanation of that aspect, more of a Jupiter Deity in league with, well... Jupiter/Jove and Zues (Yay-Zeus, or IA-Zeus was a hail or greeting in Zeus's temples around the time of Christ, I've heard, one of the reasons "Joshua" is called "Jesus" today).

Knowing the philosophical and religious influences behind the scenes of the doctrine and theology of Christianity cracks open the power of Hermetic practice in a Christian symbol set, I've found. Seeing it as the coagula stage that came after the solve stage of the 1st through 3rd century philosophies and praxis and mystical soup helps a lot. I couldn't do Agrippa without that understanding.

Lady Scylla said...

"There was a nice Jewish boy in my time, he was the son of some obscure desert-god. He loved his father and his father loved him. They loved each-other so much that the boy got -powers-. Not shitty conjur tricks. The kid could bring inanimate objects to life, or strike people dead. Kid was a witch, high class. And like any witch someone got it up their ass to kill him. He was a nice kid, cured diseases. He became a Mighty One, like every good Witch. Unfortunately, like every other Witch... he attracted assholes like shit attracts flies. They rally around their own lies about him, and he cries. He cries oceans. He's just a damn kid, y'know." - " In my second time his cult had become very popular, and had essentially stamped out the love of any other god as far as it could reach. I saw nothing wrong with going to Church and loving this man who had done such good things. I did have a problem with the being they said was his father. He abused, he tormented. He encouraged priests to molest in his physical absence. There is no way such a horrible father could produce such a kind son. That Moloch, is not the father of Yeshuah, he's the abusive step-father that you'd do well never to leave your children alone with" - Mr. A.·. (Beloved Dead)

Sums up my feelings quite well.