Thursday, December 10, 2009

Donald Tyson and his crap.

I'm boycotting Donald Tyson. He's always been a bit loopy (see his article in Disinfo's "Book of Lies" on how Enochian may be opening the gates of the Apocalypse), and he's always been a bit strange (see his Necronomicon stuff).

But I never had a reason to dislike him until now. Now, before I continue, let me explain a couple things:

Some years ago, being the chaotic ass I was, I declared in the presence of a mentor that Austin Spare was the greatest magician of the 20th century because he "invented sigils." I was promptly, and rightly, verbally slapped as Spare's form of sigilization, while personal and novel, was not in the least bit 'new'. Indeed the same basic process can be found in Agrippa. Spare just streamlined the process, at best.

So, while I'm about to discuss an element of his system for a moment, remember he probably isn't the only one that's done this. In any event Spare differentiated between sigils which had "become organic" and ones which "flowered in desire."

"Become organic" is an interesting phrase given the way the process is used now. To Spare, it seems, that once a personal glyph had acquired a certain amount of power it began to act 'as if' it was sentient. (Indeed, Spare discusses the process of 'As If' quite often. To read more about his process and a slew of other neat shit I recommend this essay by Stephen Mace; it was my last entry because it's vanished off the internet since the demise of the original New Falcon website/publisher, given all the chaos they'ved faced... But they used to offer it for free, so I don't feel bad. I don't ask you to like it, either. Just think about it.)

In any event... When sigils "become organic", they aren't sigils anymore. Nor are they Chaos Magick's favored servitors. In fact, a lot of my reliance on Spare is because he's not an idiot. Just some of his newer, dumber adherents. As I recall, he had a bit to say about them during his own time. But they do become something: "intrusive familiars."

I suppose a book on the subject was bound to come out eventually, but Tyson wasn't the author for that assuredly. (It doesn't help that I disliked him initially, I suppose.) But as far as I can tell, and I admit bias since I won't buy the book, he has all of Spare's theoretical underpinnings and even uses a system that looks to have been designed based on his concepts... Without every admitting it.

Come on, guys. I know I'm bugfuck for the Spare-guy: but he's already been slighted enough. Fucking admit it when he inspires your shit. Tell the kids. Otherwise the rest of us are going to die being called "black brothers" because we rely on his system due to dumbasses not knowing what they're talking about. Christ. This shit just pisses me the fuck off.

Fuck you, Tyson. I didn't like you before. I really fucking don't now. And I won't buy your book to make concrete my issues with you... Because I don't want you getting my money.

Ass. Please return to your Enochian Apocalypse Fears and books revolving around that, and stay the fuck out of my system. Thanks. heh.

12 comments:

Eldritch said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Eldritch said...

People still do sigils? That's so '90s, seriously though sigilization sucks it's tedious and sloppy Magic. Also I'll say one thing for Tyson, at least his book isn't nearly as retarded as Michael Ford's new book which is entitled 'vampyr magik' which proves that ford is a twilight fan in addition to being a waste of flesh (oh wait those are the same thing).

Jack Faust said...

Eldritch... I've known you a long time. I like you quite a bit. In this case, you probably have no idea what I'm talking about. Especially since you've never focused on a system yet.

Lay off the critiques and learn to be tolerant, maaan. I know that sounds weird after this entry. But trust me.

Sigils are neither sloppy magick, nor are they tedious, especially if one is developing Spare's Alphabet of Desire of which they are a necessary element. You'd know that, if you'd done the work.

I say that with more compassion than you can imagine, man. Trust me: I was just like you, once. Still am, some days.

Eldritch said...

"Especially since you've never focused on a system yet."

I'm afraid you're wrong about that since I've done extensive Enochian work.

"You'd know that, if you'd done the work."

I've worked with sigils and I just don't enjoy using them. Also are you on gtalk or any other chat programs?

Frater POS said...

I believe the doom and gloom from Enochians is one of the traps. Fall for that and you do not progress.

Eldritch said...

It's not a really a crap it's just an example of the 'alligators in sewers' brand of bullshit

Jack Faust said...

"I'm afraid you're wrong about that since I've done extensive Enochian work."

Fair enough. I wasn't aware. Congratulations. However, my primary motive still stands: the greatest setback I see for you, and I'm aware this is unsolicited advice (and all that goes with that), is that you need to chiiiiill at times, bro.

"Also are you on gtalk or any other chat programs?"

I'll have skype and maybe gtalk up and running again tomorrow after we switch to comcast. At the moment I even have disconnect problems with normal messenger programs because AT&T is fucking evil.

Jack Faust said...

"I believe the doom and gloom from Enochians is one of the traps. Fall for that and you do not progress."

I dunno. There's something there. Not sure it's a trap, but since it aint my system, I can't say. There does seem to be some Apocalyptic overtones in the works of the early badboys (I'm thinking of Crowley in Vision and Voice and Parsons in the Babs Working), but I suspect that's because the forces of change are often mistaken as forces of destruction...

Eldritch said...

"Fair enough. I wasn't aware. Congratulations."

Thanks.

"However, my primary motive still stands: the greatest setback I see for you, and I'm aware this is unsolicited advice (and all that goes with that), is that you need to chiiiiill at times, bro."

Well to be honest this isn't my normal I'm a bit coffee'd out atm.

"I'll have skype and maybe gtalk up and running again tomorrow after we switch to comcast."

Great! What's your gmail address?

the Hellfires said...

Tyson is a tool for sooooo many reasons

St.Balthazar said...

The familiars book is so, so bad. Its an incoherent mishmash of different ideas which clearly has never been tested. Its badly edited, badly written and in some places plain ridiculous. It contributes almost nothing of value.

Rufus Opus said...

Tyson's just totally misunderstood. He does say the Enochians are trying to bring about an apocalypse. He does not say that's a bad thing. He's a gnostic and sees it as the next evolutionary step, as it were. Transcendence of the mundane.

Like everyone else, Tyson has a very complex and intricate belief system. Books we write give us a chance to explore a facet of the overall experience we have, but it doesn't give a wide enough platform to explain everything about everything. I try anyway, but ... well.

One must remember that judging anyone as a whole based on one or two glimpses of their personality is simply wrong.

Except when I do it. I do it with class.