Monday, December 7, 2009

Actually...

My significant other announced that I was wrong about my current project, and that I should start broadcasting it here until I get a new domain and website up and running.

It involves mapping the psychogeography of Sacramento. I'm beginning with the downtown area; but will move as far as near Mid-town and near the Tower districts, which border the downtown Sacramento area.

To find the Genius Loci I begin by wandering about while looking for "outcroppings" in the area around me; the only Victorian home preserved on a street, for example, might house a spirit that has preserved it. The lonely park surrounded by an industrial zone might also host just a spirit, a last and isolated area where the play of children and active imaginations allowed for a brief time a colony or more of spirits to remain. I may make occasional, 'outside Sacramento' posts, but 90% of it will be limited to my current home city.

Why? Particularly because I find myself in the state capital while doing such a project. The place where power and influence are the game of choice, and where sectors of influence seem to reside. In the influence game, one imagines, spirits around you could be very helpful. So my attempts to notice the flows of power based on the byproducts they generate is a central feature of this.

From this I can render, in all hopes, a 'psychic map' of the city. For whatever reason, it just seems a very obvious choice for the duration of my stay here and something which has clearly understated value when or if the time comes for action.

There are some places I will likely leave well enough alone. In this the spirit itself, in such locations, will be left well enough alone. One doesn't want to piss off the guardian spirits at a Botanica, for example, even if such a nexus point exists for it to exert an influence on the area around it. So I will merely post the location and respectfully leave the rest alone from my 'psychic probing'.

I'll make the first post later tonight with the location, but add the sigil at a later date.

6 comments:

Fred McCaughey said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Eldritch said...

Hmmmm, I'm guessing you saw Neverwhere....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHpYWy89yVU

Jack Faust said...

I've seen Neverwhere, but the inspiration for this project began with a note I saw about one of their spiritual warfare tactics. When the Roman empire would prepare to invade a given city, they'd evoke the city's Genius Loci and request that it/they abandon the city in favor of the Roman army.

If they were successful in taking the city, surviving defenders would immediately be slain and omens cast from their entrails.

While I'm not going to be waging any psychic warfare any time soon, the idea sparked a wonder as to what I'd encounter if I wandered about looking for it. And so I am.

Eldritch said...

Wow, thanks for the fascinating info.

the Hellfires said...

I once did this in Toronto, 'Wyrd Tails'. Very rewarding.

Jack Faust said...

re: Sol:

Yeah. I remember Wyrd Tales. Good shit, that was, buddy.

Sometimes it's nice just to look around and take a gander, 'eh?