Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Dear Energy Model Practitioners and Advocates:

"Psychic energy," as described ad nauesum in the popular presses and elsewhere is subjective and not objective. Therefore trying to describe it in concrete terms is silly and psuedo-Scientific twaddle.

Please remember this when you say something like: "Thought is less substantial than energy." Because you are erring in presenting your particular model of the universe to the rest of the world as a truism, with objective 'facts' that exist about it. They only exist within your particular model and once switched to another model may no longer apply.

Remember the difference between the microcosm and macrocosm, please.

Thank you,
The Chaos Magician.

9 comments:

Frater POS said...

at PPD someone want to speak with a chaos magician. I told her you moved.

on the other hand, nearly everything is subjective in one form or another. Yes, I said that just to get a reaction out of you. So there!

Ananael Qaa said...

If this is a response to my article on "The Secret" in which I made that statement about thought being less substantial than energy, what I was talking about in that case was objective energy as understood by physics, not "psychic energy." That is, people are going to be affected negatively by the excess heat in your sweat lodge if it gets too hot regardless of your intentions or happy thoughts.

Jason Miller, said...

But Chaos Magick itself is a Model. The idea that things are true only within that model IS a model.

So by declaring people in error because they speak about energy or spirits in an objective sense, simply because that doesnt adhere to YOUR model seems a bit dodgy to me.

Jack Faust said...

Re: Ananael:

You're correct. I misread what you were saying entirely; my apologies, man.

Jack Faust said...

Re: Jason:

Chaos Magick is a 'meta-model', and honestly, a bad one at that. It was an attempt to unify the diverse ways of looking at magick and find some form of wholism. I don't think it accomplished that in the least; in most cases it just made us into materialistic asshats.

That said, what I was trying to say is that trying to isolate objective 'facts' from subjective processes is dangerous and foolhardy; of course, I misunderstood what I read and looked like a jerk. But I think my general intent still stands.

Ananael Qaa said...

No problem at all, Jack. I've added a clarification to the article emphasizing that I'm talking about physical energy rather than something psychic or conceptual.

Another said...

Well, well, well, Mr. Von Faustus. Long time no see. :-)

-Kate

Jack Faust said...

Err... Hi, Kate?

WitchDoctorJoe said...

Hah! You said twaddle.... *giggle*