Saturday, February 28, 2009

Clarification.

I like at least one GD lodge. (The local one; duh.) I like, for the most part, the OTO.

Both, of course, have a checkered and sketchy history; I find this happens with any large body of practitioners of alternate beliefs. That said: initiatory lodges serve their purpose.

I hold in contempt, on the other hand, any group of individuals that aims to suppress the individuality of the practitioner for their own (often malign) agenda. This can occur in either the GD system or the OTO if parasitic leaders arise and is the very reason, that while on their own they may be wonderful systems and even organizations, one should always remain at least somewhat wary and skeptical.

It is for this reason that I often frown on individuals or organizations that stress the suppression of the ego - which can be a valid path to enlightenment - especially if the practitioner never developed an ego beforehand.

Truly, the only 'valid' tradition that I regard with both skepticism and contempt despite the fact that it's valid, and has been shown to occasionally work, is Theosophy. During all my time hanging out with various occultists, witches, and free-style Shaman of a diverse range it has been Theosophists that time and again became blatant moralists and fanatics to the extreme, that I've seen make bizarre demands of their students, and that have been the first as an organizational body to threaten, cajole, and otherwise emotionally castrate nearly every practitioner I've met. I've met more schizoid Theosophists than in any other group (although the crazy Thelemites I've met actually rank second; I think it's because so many insane people go "Sex magick?!?! I can fuck my fellow practitioners?!?!?!" These people are the first I avoid).

As a rule of thumb that I personally hold, anyone that demands undue sex or money (initiatory fees for supplies and keeping a lodge housed not with-standing), is one to be distrusted. Further more, anyone that "pings the meter" (IE: the "bullshit" and "insane" meters perspective) gets uncertain glances. (90% of the Ecclectic Wiccans I've met "ping the BS meter" unfortunately; maybe I'm just hard on them.)

There's shady fuckers in this world, and I think stripping them of power is a pretty necessary prospect even today. It just saddens me to say that.

8 comments:

Jason Miller, said...

I would say that transcendence of the ego through renunciation (monks), Antidote (Bodhisattva) or Transformation (Tantrika)is ONLY valid if the person developed a healthy ego in the first place.

Riley said...

For the record I'm sure there are awesome people in the GD and I don't look down on people who belong to the GD. However I think the GD system is gawd awful and that orders in general are a recipe for failure.

Adoniah Carrefour said...

Better question .. where does one go for generally non-exploitive guidance? I grew up in one of those crazy-assed theosophical cults and brother I never looked back. The psychological work of getting out of thing like that after being born into makes the idea of re-entering one about as uncomfortable as I can imagine.

But some people do need that kind of environment I think (the good order/cult sorta thing) but I have no idea where to send them. I get the functional use of a graded initiatory structure to some extent but I don't think it plays out well in most cases. Everyone approaches the work in their way, realizes their truths at their time and in their time. Some models embrace that I think .. most don't. Maybe I am wrong though .. could since I am entirely unwilling to go find out.

Frater BH said...

"tempt, on the other hand, any group of individuals that aims to suppress the individuality of the practitioner for their own (often malign) agenda. This can occur in either the GD system or the OTO if parasitic leaders arise and is the very reason," No aruement. However, why name names? It would be even more valid to say, "This can occur in any system or even with a private 'teacher'..."

As for Riley, I've seen similar statements made by people that have never been in any order. Usually, it indicates a type of personality that should avoid orders more than anything wrong with orders themselves. Some personality types do well in orders, others don't. Neither is better or worse.

Riley said...

As for Riley, I've seen similar statements made by people that have never been in any order."

Actually you're right; I've never been in an order (thank gawd/YHVH). Mainly it's because I don't like the magical systems of the GD and OTO. When it comes to Western magic I have a higher opinion of classic renniassance magic. Unlike crowley and mathers I have more respect for the authors of the grims and what not.

Riley said...

"Better question .. where does one go for generally non-exploitive guidance?"

I'll tell you that right now! All I need is your credit card number.

My Gal said...

Dude that is funny. As a practicing sex magickian and OTO member, I have never once slept with or had any other sexual actions with any of my "siblings". Sorry man, they are not initiating with sex at the door. Though with that said I really don't care who is sleeping with whom, if I am not invited.

While I will definately say that I got into sex magick as a joke, it is a very functional path.

If you are just looking to get laid the fluffier pagan community in general is not a bad place to start. Then again, your local college is just a wild.

Adoniah Carrefour said...

You know .. it suddenly occurred to me that I'm a shady fucker .....