Sunday, July 27, 2008

Summers, Continued.

Earlier today I was sent an email asking, as interesting as Mr. Summers' book is, what it had to do with chaos magick.

On the whole: not much.

To be technical: Anything I want it to. Putting down Liber Null and doing research on subjects regarding magick can help you more than anything you'll ever read from the foregone glory days. It's something sadly lacking these days. Phil Hine and all your idols did research - so should you. Trust me.

"Spare" me: Austin Spare, you know our supposed-Great-Grand-Daddy, considered himself a witch - not a magician.

Influences: See "Faust: Love of the Damned". David Quinn and Tim Vigil were Chaos Magicians, and from what I gather 'Faust' was a pet project of theirs... To the best of my knowledge, it still remains incomplete. Quinn discusses the influence of the IOT and such in his introductions to each chapter of the graphic novel/series. What he doesn't tell you is that 90% of the "Black Mass" scenes in it come directly from Summers' works, the other 10% being from Peter Carroll's works and B-rated horror flicks. (It is a comic book, after all.) My nickname, "St. Faust" - or at least the "Faust" part - actually was given to me when I was 16 due to reading said comics. The reason being that had I been caught reading them I'd likely have been expelled for having practical porn in my hands. One of my friends at the time actually tried to convince me to change my last name to 'von Faustus'. "It'd be cool," he told me.

... We were teenagers. Give me a break.

Otherwise? Seriously: absolutely nothing. I just enjoyed the book, and kept being asked to review something I'd enjoyed. I'll get to Mace eventually. I promise.

No comments: